Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Intention Detention

Intention Detention is where I put myself when I don’t live up to the ideals or goals I have inside my head. For instance, I could say, “I’m going to try and run 20 miles this week”. Note the word “try;” not very powerful. “I am” or “I will” would be much better choices. But when it comes right down to it (for me), I need to have all of my structures in place. These include my Garmin watch being plugged in and charged, along with my iPod shuffle. I don’t always run with music, but when it’s been a while, the music helps keep me going.


I probably ran an extra 8 miles this week because I bought a new running top from Athleta. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/division.do?cid=49936 has some great end of summer sales right now. Of course you need good shoes, but everything else is free. You don’t need all the gadgets I have, but they certainly do help. I got my iPod shuffle on the Apple refurb site for $45 several years ago. The Garmin watch, a definite treat, was $150. Always nice to see how far you’ve gone or have to go and to track your progress. Of course the biggest way to be committed to an exercise commitment is to schedule a race or a trip to a reunion. J